72 needed new U-joints!

When I drove the 72 home I knew it needed new u-joints, but I didn’t know how bad they were! I’m honestly surprised the front u-joint didn’t completely separate! It had worn through the cup and had started damaging the yoke. Luckily I had a spare!

The output seal on the transmission leaks so I replaced that while I was in there.

Now that’s a worn down u-joint!!!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a ujoint worn that badly! You can see the cup on the left is worn through!

Next up will be pulling the front end back apart so I can replace the crankshaft seal. I damaged it while I was designing the trigger wheel kit and didn’t even think to replace it while it was all apart. Now it spins oil all over the engine bay. Sigh. Live and learn!

I found even more garbage in the harness I didn’t like. I couldn’t leave the harness in that garbage state and sell the car so I decided to tear it apart.

I’m putting in a 1-wire GM alternator, so I don’t need the voltage regulator. So I pulled all those wires out.

The horn relay was held together with electrical tape, so I pulled those wires apart, and I’ll put the horn relay in the EFI/engine fuse/relay box.

I’m going to hide the wires as best I can while I’ve got it all apart. The engine bay should look pretty tidy afterwards.

I ordered some non adhesive harness tape, and I’ll retape everything I tear apart.