77 Celica Gecko adjustable rear coilovers

I installed the rear adjustable Gecko suspension parts. They’re not actually coilovers, because coilovers won’t fit in a 76/77 Celica, but the springs are adjustable so it has the same effect.

The parts were originally green. I get it, geckos are green, but that color green belongs on a high school kids Honda, not a Celica.

I sandblasted and powdercoated the shock tubes a metallic charcoal gray color. I like that color much better!

The install was very straightforward and easy.

Even adjusted to the highest possible setting, it’s a little lower than factory springs.

The springs have a higher rate than factory springs as well. I wish they were a little softer, but it’s not that harsh. I don’t race my Celica or anything crazy, it’s just a cruiser. I tried out several different settings on the adjustable shocks, and there is a very definite difference, but I went back to the softest setting.

We will post again when we finish the fronts.

How to fix RA29 fuel sender!

I pulled the fuel pump from my brother’s 77 liftback to replace the pump, and tested the fuel sender as well. Of course it was erratic.

The coiled resistance wires tested good and I found out the grounding point between the moving rod and the frame was the failure. Likely a result of the corrosion.

I soldered a wire to the contact arm and grounded it through a bolt, and that completely fixed it!

Picked up a new 77 Liftback!

My brother Isaac and I picked up a Celica for him today! 77 liftback with 140k on the clock. Got it in the trailer and went to the local Walmart and poured gas in the carb and it immediately fired up and purred like a kitten! All the gauges and lights worked immediately as well!

The interior looks like a family of badgers lived in it, and there are very few good parts in there. Luckily I kept a lot of the brown interior parts from a liftback I parted out two years ago! There is very little rot in the rockers and fenders, don’t know about under carpet yet. Rear passengers wheel well is bent up, but not punctured. Hood is bent and the hinges are thrashed. If only I knew of a place to get a new hood and hinges… 😀 the rear hatch we had purchased previously, and we’re in the process of making a fiberglass mold from it. We have a local car show May 20, and we should have it on the road by then!

72 needed new U-joints!

When I drove the 72 home I knew it needed new u-joints, but I didn’t know how bad they were! I’m honestly surprised the front u-joint didn’t completely separate! It had worn through the cup and had started damaging the yoke. Luckily I had a spare!

The output seal on the transmission leaks so I replaced that while I was in there.

Now that’s a worn down u-joint!!!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a ujoint worn that badly! You can see the cup on the left is worn through!

Next up will be pulling the front end back apart so I can replace the crankshaft seal. I damaged it while I was designing the trigger wheel kit and didn’t even think to replace it while it was all apart. Now it spins oil all over the engine bay. Sigh. Live and learn!